Thursday, September 29, 2011

Chewies


The following dessert is not only the easiest I've ever made, but it's also so freaking delicious. My mom developed this recipe I'm sure long before I was born when trying to use up pie dough scraps. Whenever she'd make a pie she would take the scraps of dough, roll them out and proceed to make this "leftover dessert". I don't remember why she named them Chewies other than the fact that that is exactly what they are: chewy. It probably also didn't hurt that my big brother has always been obsessed with Star Wars, so he might have named this dessert, which is one of his favorites.

I started making them myself when I began learning to bake pies and didn't want to throw away the leftover dough.

A few months back I was making a tart out of puff pastry and had leftover pastry dough, so I tried the same method and it turned out super delicious which will be the method I'm using for this recipe.

Last weekend we had company so along with my Potato Tacos, I made these puff pastry Chewies. I hope you try this recipe out because it is so ridiculously simple, yet amazingly tasty... and addicting.

Chewies











Ingredients
One sheet puff pastry, defrosted
1/2 stick of unsalted butter, room temperature
Cinnamon
Granulated sugar
Egg, for egg wash
1 tablespoon heavy cream, for egg wash (optional)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On a lightly floured work surface, roll out defrosted sheet of puff pastry until about 1/8 inch thick or slightly thinner. Spread the butter evenly over the top of the puff pastry with the back of a spoon, sprinkle generously with sugar, then with the cinnamon. Roll up the dough from one side like a cinnamon roll, slice into 3/4 of an inch thick and line up on a parchment lined baking sheet. Whisk egg and heavy cream with a fork and brush lightly on top of each Chewy. Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown and bubbling. Let cool slightly before serving. Chewies are best eaten warm from the oven. If you wish, you can drizzle the top of each Chewy with a powdered sugar glaze (recipe below).

Glaze

Ingredients
1/2 cup Confectioner's (powdered) sugar
1/2 - 1 tablespoon water

In a small bowl whisk the sugar and water until smooth, creamy and glazed. You may need to add either more sugar or more water to get the consistency you like. Use spoon to drizzle over Chewies.

Enjoy!!
~Andrea

6 comments:

  1. oh good gracious. i must try this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Again - Chewies are one my favourite treats that you have ever made too! Thanks for sharing, I'm going to try this recipe soon! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh yum yum yum! I've given up sweets except for Saturdays, but this week I've been given so many amazing ideas for Saturday. How will I ever choose?!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i grew up making a variation of these with leftover pie crust. so yummy!

    xo Alison

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks soooo good! Can believe it's actually kinda of simple(: I'm gonna try this!

    ReplyDelete